This week was hectic and went by quickly. The highlight of the week for me was the consideration of intellectual property. As time goes by I realize that I'm a proponent of open access or open source for any scholarly work that I publish after tenure (if I choose the faculty route). Dr. Dennen shared information on Creative Commons licensing, and I thought that was an interesting means to disseminate information while still maintaining some control over the products we produce. I added the creative commons license to this blog. I don't want to restrict a reader's ability to use or be inspired by any work I post here for their own purposes as long as they give attribution. I hope to do live up to the same standards when I read work online.
I've spent some time getting the opinions of others about some of the Web 2.0 tools I discussed this week. I haven't taught in a while, and it felt disingenuous to say that certain tools worked well if I hadn't actually tried them in the classroom. So I brainstormed with friends who teach day in and day out, and that was helpful in framing my posts. One of them also let me scope out Pinterest using her account. I haven't really figured out a creative and engaging way to use Pinterest in higher education, but I'm working on it. When I do, I'll be sure to post it here.
My favorite tool this week was Diigo. It was easy to use after I finally read the directions, a classmate posted. This is a tool I can see myself using consistently. The bookmarking and tagging features made a believer out of me, a die hard chaotic bookmarker. I stayed true to my beliefs that top down tagging conventions worked best for scholarly enterprises. I am terribly disorganized when it comes to bookmarking websites or storing documents on my hard drive. I need guidelines and suggestions. I'm sure a few of you are like me as well. Social bookmarking is good for Instagram, but I need structure.
Did you try out any of the tools I suggested this week? If you did, leave me some feedback. Did you agree with perceptions or did you disagree? Let me know. I look forward to hearing from you. I'll be back next week with reviews of more Web 2.0 tools that can make the educational experience exciting not only for your students but you as well. Diigo, try it out! I promise you; you'll love it!

Diigo was by far my favorite tool this week. I will definitely be using it again!
ReplyDeleteDiigo was by far my favorite tool this week. I will definitely be using it again!
ReplyDeleteRe: Pinterest -- I saw a presentation at a conference a few years back in which the prof shared how she used it. She noticed her class (preservice teachers, mostly female) was pinning before class. They were making ... wait for it ... someday wedding boards. None were engaged. She tapped into that enthusiasm and had them make "someday classroom" boards.
ReplyDeleteAnother idea for Pinterest - fiction writing - have students create boards with images that look like their planned characters, settings, etc.