Pinterest

Tuesday, 12 July 2016

Storify



Who doesn't love a good book?  The good ones make us feel as if we are actually there.  What if a Web 2.0 tool could do the same thing? I used Storify for the first time today to write a story about last week's Periscope demo. I had some trouble in the beginning because I DIDN'T READ THE INSTRUCTIONS #Ilikewastingtimefiguringthingsout. When I finally gave up (I figured a few things on my own), I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!! And just like magic I was curating away. I made a Storify of last week's Periscope demo to practice for the Knowledge Sharing activity that's coming up. I like it because the user can:

  • Chronicle an event or student engagement with a topic/subject in a linear fashion 

  • It's an easy application to use to display user-generated content (If you read the instructions). 

  • It's easy to add or delete elements at a later date so I could update a story or take out a "breaking news" item that later proved to be false (poof gone!). 

I see wonderful opportunities for students to show evidence of their learning in an authentic way. The story in Storify acts as a digital scrapbook or photo album to which students can add text or annotations to assist the reader in understanding what is presented. The search and drag and drop features are certainly a plus for students as they curate their experiences or subjects of interests. Storify's search of popular online applications like Youtube and Twitter makes finding content simple. I suggest you try it but READ THE DIRECTIONS FIRST!!! I've included a link to my demo story on Storify. I hope to do something more robust and detailed for the Knowledge Sharing assignment. Don't forget to leave a comment or suggestion in the comment section or leave a voice response by clicking on the microphone to your right.

Here's my first attempt at curating in Storify:

4 comments :

  1. Thanks Sophia for this great story! I just shared it with #eme6414 on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the story. I haven't tried Storify yet, but I think I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the story. I haven't tried Storify yet, but I think I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete