I wrote about a lot of Web 2.0 tools this week, but I also watched a great deal of video and read several chapters from Networked (Rainie & Wellman, 2012). We discussed Social Networks and Personal Learning networks among other related topics on the discussion board. The one idea that stands out to me most about this week is something so banal that it may have slipped past unnoticed by someone looking for a BIG takeaway. Are you ready? Here it is:
The Conversation Never Ends
(Rainie & Wellman, 2012, p. 255)
I am amazed by the number of communication applications that are available and the creative ways in which people make use of those platforms. Web 2.0 tools have become indispensable to communication in families, to work production in offices, to the dissemination of content by educators, to the rebellious sharing of philosophy by politicians. It's a 'necessary' appendage. Or is it? Do you know the exact moment that your phone became a part of your body so to speak? You can leave home without your American Express but not your phone. My wallet travels in my phone.
And the world keeps spinning and the conversation keeps going. So many of us are now Networked Individuals creating, co-creating with, and being created by technology. Some of us are lurkers, some are avid participants, some join reluctantly, and others vehemently resist technologies efforts to encroach into their lives. I love technology. It's my Pied Piper. Sometimes I shut out the sound. I turn it off and disconnect because there's so much noise it becomes discordant; too much information, too many images, too many voices all at once, all wanting a response. Sometimes I need a face-to-face interaction, a human touch, and the effort to get dressed and go out of the house. I love technology, but sometimes I put in earplugs and shut out the never ending conversation. "Talk among yourselves. I'll be back later." LEAVE ME A COMMENT, however, because I'm also MOFO (I hate missing out on information.LOL!)


Hi Sophia! Great post! Back in those days when our mobile phones are not smart phones, they are just a tool for us to send text messages or make phone calls. Those days, we chit chat a lot with our friends and families through the phone, we hear each others voices and through the voices we can find out or feel certain emotions in their voices. But right now, with the advancement in technologies, there are lesser verbal communications and more text form of communications, you know like Whatsapp, everything is just text based. It has also became a platform that work related stuff creeps in too. During work time, my whatsapp is constantly active because of the convenience of it, instead of talking through the phone or meet up in person to discuss issues or things like that. Technologies are good for sure but I guess there must be some form of moderation in their usage, and to make sure that it is used appropriately. Awesome post!
ReplyDelete