Pinterest

Tuesday, 26 July 2016



I checked out oercommons.org today.  OER stands for Open Educational Resources.  oercommons.org is a website geared toward providing open access content and resources to educators and lifelong learners.  oercommons acts like we did when we used Storify or Diigo.  It curates lesson plans, educational resources and tools, and even how-to-videos from around the internet.  Content carries one of the following designations: 

    • Strings Attached No restrictions on your remixing, redistributing, or making derivative works. Give credit to the author, as required. Includes Public Domain, Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY), Creative Commons Public Domain, and any item that explicitly says no restrictions. 
    • Remix and Share Your remixing, redistributing, or making derivatives works comes with some restrictions, including how it is shared. Includes Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike (CC BY-SA), Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial Share Alike (CC BY-NC-SA), Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial (CC BY-NC), GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), WGBH Teachers' Domain remix. 
    • Share Only Your redistributing comes with some restrictions. Do not remix or make derivative works. Includes Creative Commons No Derivatives (CC ND), WGBH Teachers' Domain share. 
    • Read the Fine Print Everything else. All Rights Reserved. US-based educators have certain permissions under Fair Use and the TEACH Act. Includes educational and personal uses of copyrighted materials, custom licenses and terms, permission to print only, unknown restrictions, and any other redistribution restrictions of the DMCA and of your own country.
    (Retrieved from oercommons.org 26 July, 2016)

    I didn't become a registered user.  oercommons.org allows you to search resources  and access those resources without having to join so I went in using lurker mode to check it out.  I did a search for - you guessed it - Web 2.0 learning and filtered the results by postsecondary education.  I didn't choose a license format because I wanted to see what the results would be.  I got 6 results.  Technology for Teaching and Learning below seemed the most relevant to what we are studying in EME 6414 so I clicked on View Resources.  The creator Anita Zijdemans Boudreau, licensed it under Remix and Share thus allowing users to download, modify and share her original content as long as they gave attribution.
    https://www.oercommons.org/courses/technology-for-teaching-learning



I liked the concept of this site very much - everything is FREE!!! but attribution is IMPERATIVE! I have stated before that I am a proponent of open source and open access for research studies and publications in higher education to expand the audience who can benefit from the information currently locked behind well-known journal websites.  I found 3797 graduate/professional links and when I filtered those results by subject area (Education) I got 542 links.  That's quite a lot of content to explore.  Try it out! Let me know what you think.  

SaveSave

5 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed reading your write-up about OERCommons. I also checked it out today and wrote up about it. It is interesting where we shared points. You pointed out the part about attribution and I did too. We did focus on different parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that's the beauty of human interaction. We can all experience an event yet see it from different angles. It makes for rich and exciting discussions when we get together. Thanks so much for leaving a response.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your write-up about OERCommons. I also checked it out today and wrote up about it. It is interesting where we shared points. You pointed out the part about attribution and I did too. We did focus on different parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way you systemically design your blog posts including useful content with neat design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a visual learner and although I'm grown, I still love pictures in books so I include them in my blogs. They act as guideposts or guardrails - "you should see a screen that looks like this if you followed directions" and well they're pretty!!! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete