Pinterest

Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Voicethread


In a previous class, a classmate mentioned plans to use a media tool called Voicethread to make her final presentation.  I didn't take particular notice because I have my "go to's" for presentations - PowerPoint and Prezi.  I preferred Prezi, but more than one professor noted that the animations made them dizzy.  Today, I watched the "Introduction to Course Voicethread" for EME6414 prepared by Dr. Dennen and my brain took off to a happy place.  WHY hadn't I used this product before???? Immediately instructional possibilities began forming in my head but before I get into those let me say a brief word about Voicethread.


Voicethread, developed at the University of North Carolina, makes it simple for users to add voice overs to any artifact - a slide presentation, video, photo, or a text document.  These voice overs are also called voice annotations.  I can hear you say "Well I can do that with Powerpoint and Prezi as well." It's the ease with which the annotations are done that made me give it high marks.  I particularly liked the thumbnail picture that shows up to let viewers know who is doing the commentary.  I also liked the doodling feature built into the tool.  Dr. Dennen was able to draw circles around points she wanted to emphasize while she spoke.  This little doodling act gave the presentation a real-time feel and made it engaging.


The real selling point for me was how easily I, as an end user, was able to collaborate and interact with Dr. Dennen and classmates in EME 6414 using a number of formats to the presentation.  I could leave a text-based comment or question.  I could also call or use the microphone to leave a verbal comment; even a video response.  I was sold.  I could see how this tool could make online classes more interactive and help to build community (something many people are concerned about when comparing distance education to face-to-face instruction.) I could also see how a faculty member who had an upcoming planned absence could "present" the lecture in a format almost as well as being there in person.  Students wouldn't lose the instructor's tone or inflection that so often happens when we look at plain slide presentations in online classes.

Like any good love at first sight story, or use in this case, I had some hesitations.  I am a chrome user.  Voicethread uses flash technology, and I've read that Chrome will discontinue Flash use in its browsers soon.  Will Voicethread adjust or will I have to use a new browser?  Additionally, as a student with hearing impairment, I had accessibility concerns.  I still have some hearing ability, so I just turned the volume up, but I wondered about others on the spectrum who have no hearing capacity.  Voicethread has a CC (closed caption) option that has the ability (in theory - I didn't personally put this assertion to the test) to translate voice into text to address concerns for the hearing impaired community of learners.  

I enjoyed all of the Voicethread presentations, and I was thrilled with its simplicity of use as an end user. I recommend that readers watch a few of the Voicethread tutorial videos on Youtube to discover how Voicethread can make presentations more interactive and assist in creating a sense of community among online learners.  


6 comments :

  1. Voicethread really is easy to use, and I love the way that it gets students to interact with an online lecture. In the past, it was necessary to record and post a video and then have people discuss in a forum. I think that Voicethread encourages deeper, more specific discussion because of the ability to leave comments (and write on screen -- viewers can do this, too!) at the point where you have a comment.

    Regarding accessibility, it's not quite as good. The cc option is visible, but not automatic. The only way to get it to work is to manually upload captions, comment by comment, and they provide the VoiceThread Universal browser (https://voicethread.com/universal/) to play the VoiceThread if using a screen reader. The initial creator of the Voicethread might choose to type out and upload captions for a video or audio comment. They don't make it easy, either, because specific captioning formats need to be used. However, if the viewers similarly leave video or audio comments those won't have captions unless the original creator comes back in and manually sorts it out. I feel like VT is taking the easy way out here -- they create a universal browser, but don't include the auto captioning technology that youtube uses and don't provide a simple way to type captioning directly into the tool.

    I looked to see how another university that uses VT heavily addresses accessibility. If you need students to access via screen reader, no problem, just use universal design principles and encourage text or audio comments (no visual annotations). If you need cc, sorry. Their advice to faculty: If you need captions, submit your VT media to their office of instructional technology and give them 5 business days to produce captions for you. Sigh.

    If you're curious, you can find out about it here: https://voicethread.com/howto/closed-captioning/

    I'm sure they're working on a flash solution -- and of course they always have the HTML-based universal browser (not as visually attractive, but certainly functional).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your awesome response, V. Dr. Dennen and I had an insightful discussion in the wee hours of this morning about the closed captioning option. You echo all of her points about the accessibility function. She does have a creative 'hack' that she shared with me. While it does call for a bit of work on the front end, it does offer the potential for closed captioning without the 5 business days turnaround requested at the university you researched. It doesn't solve the issue of not having the captioning for students' responses and that certainly is a drawback. I plan to highlight this hack once I've tried it myself a few times. I'll be sure to post a link if I can (or at least a note on the original VT post) to the hack once I'm done. Thanks again for leaving a reply!!

      Delete
    2. Just FYI - "V" is me, Vanessa :)

      I just use my initial when blogging because on one of my blogger blogs I prefer to now have my first name visible and I can't set it to be different for each blog.

      Delete
    3. No wonder you echoed your thoughts so perfectly LOL! Knowing is half the battle!

      Delete
  2. Hello Sophia,
    Your blogging looks so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!!!! Maybe there IS a blogger in me :D !!!! Keep reading!!

    ReplyDelete